Call to Artists: Read a Book, Create an Interpretive Work of Art
The Salem Public Library Foundation’s Salem Reads: One Book, One Community is in its fourth season. This community program encourages a fondness for reading and the Library by inviting the entire city to read a common book. In February 2020, there will be a full month of programs to encourage discussions and activities around the themes of the book, including an art exhibit. This year we ask you to read the book, “Piecing Me Together” by Portland native Renée Watson then create a piece of art that reflects your interpretation of it.
- Artwork must reflect the story of the book.
- Artwork quality is of a high standard, with a mastery of technique of medium
- Max size: 18 x 24. No 3-D pieces; no diptychs or triptychs.
- Artwork must be labeled as specified in the Call to Artists.
- Professionally framed, ready to hang
- If creating your piece on a wide panel or canvas, the edges need to be painted and ready for hanging.
|Beginning||September 17||Get a Copy of the Book (Limited Quantity)|
|Tuesday||October 1||Deadline for Commitment|
|Week of||October 7||Notices of Acceptance Go Out Via Email|
|Anytime||October—January||Read the Book; Create Your Art|
|Salem Reads Book Giveaway at West Salem Branch Library|
|Salem Reads Book Giveaway at Broadway Library|
by 5 pm
|Due Date for Photo of Your Piece, Your Bio, Etc.|
|Thursday, Friday, Saturday||January 30–31, February 1|
9 am – 5 pm
|Delivery of Artwork to Elsinore, 444 Ferry St SE, Salem|
|Weeks during||February 3–26||Exhibit Dates @ Gallery 444, Elsinore Framing and Fine Art Gallery|
|Wednesday||February 5||Opening Reception at Elsinore Gallery|
|Thursday||February 6||Author Lecture, Grand Theatre|
|Friday, Saturday||February 28–29|
9 am – 5 pm
|Artists Retrieve Unsold Artwork from Elsinore Gallery|